Finding the best rock tumblers can be quite challenging especially if you lack sufficient information or knowledge. You need to choose the right size, it has to be easy y to operate, and should turn the rough stones into smooth attractive pebbles or cobbles. With the end product, you’ll come up with beautiful ornamental pieces or increase your rock collection. This activity has become a good pastime for many people. Family use it as a bonding time, hobbyists do it to come up with amazing craft pieces, while collectors partake in it to increase their collection.
On paper, finding a good tumbler always seems easy. But in reality, it’s not. In fact, chances are that you’ll be more confused due to the many readily available offers or conflicting information from different sellers. When selecting a product, it’s essential you go for a type that has a sturdy base; it should be constructed from heavy-duty metals and should come with lead-free coatings. Also important is to choose one with thick rubber barrel and is effective on rocks, metal, glass and other product. You also don’t want to burn holes in your pocket to own this accessory. To get more insights on finding the best, why don’t you join me as I go through the best rock tumblers in 2019?
Table of Contents
- List of Top 7 Best Rock Tumblers in 2019
- #7 Tru-square Heavy Duty Rotary Tumbler with 15 lb Capacity
- #6 National Geographic Professional Rock Tumbler
- #5 Discover with Dr. Cool Hobby Rock Tumbler
- #4 National Geographic Rock Tumbler Kit (2016 Release)
- #3 Lortone 33B Rotary Rock Tumbler
- #2 Lortone 3A Single Barrel Tumbler
- #1 National Geographic Hobby Rock Tumbler Kit
- Best Rock Tumblers Buying Guides
- Final Thoughts
List of Top 7 Best Rock Tumblers in 2019
#7 Tru-square Heavy Duty Rotary Tumbler with 15 lb Capacity
By: Tru-square Metal Products
With a capacity of 15 pounds, this simple-looking tumbler is fit for most uses. It’s a good option for hobbyists, schools, laboratories, collectors, and many others. The accessory is well-built to handle different kinds of rocks and is also simple to operate. The built-in motor is pretty powerful and turns over the rocks, grit, and water with ease. It can handle different operations including coarse polishing, fine polishing, and also works on metals such as brass. To prevent the motor from getting too hot and failing, it comes with highly-effective cooling fans.
#6 National Geographic Professional Rock Tumbler
By: National Geographic
With this rock tumbler, you’ll be able to transform the not-so-good-looking rock into an amazing pebble. In fact, you will hardly tell that the elegant piece was once a rough stone. It comes in a relatively- small size and is mainly suited for beginners or people with little experience but want professional result. The kit can safely handle 1 pound of rock, 4 pounds of polishing grit and water. To prevent the grit and water from leaking, it has a leak-proof rubber barrel which also helps in minimizing the noise during operation.
#5 Discover with Dr. Cool Hobby Rock Tumbler
By: Discover with Dr. Cool
Your journey of discovery starts with this complete rock tumbling kit. It’s a good choice for both beginners and experienced users and it’s among the easiest to operate. The unit comprises of a tumbler, 4 grades of polishing grit, barrel, jewelry fastenings, and 9 different types of gemstones (0.5 pounds), instructions, and learning guide. With this product, not only will you learn the trade but should produce quality results with ease. The barrel is among the most silent thanks to the premium rubber and the leak-proof lid.
#4 National Geographic Rock Tumbler Kit (2016 Release)
By: National Geographic
Released in 2016, this rock tumbler continues to draw lots of followers. It’s a popular choice for beginners who want to learn all about the tumbling process. It comes in a complete kit and a hobbyist will be able to start polishing rocks without having to look for extra materials. The accessory comprises of a range of rocks, polishing grit, and custom jewelry fastenings. Thanks to the simple instructions, you will soon be transforming the ordinary rocks into some beautiful ornaments or craft pieces.
#3 Lortone 33B Rotary Rock Tumbler
Lortone is one of the famous brands when it comes to the best rock tumblers. They have many products readily available in the market. However, the 33B rotary tumbler is one of the company’s top sellers. It comes in a practical design to suit both seasoned and inexperienced users. The simple mechanism and design make using it easy whereas the 6-pound capacity is sufficient for most standard applications. Coming in a double-barrel configuration, you will work on different types of rocks without worrying about harming one at the expense of the other.
#2 Lortone 3A Single Barrel Tumbler
If you want the best rock tumbler, then this type from the renowned Lortone brand should suit you fine. It has a medium capacity and is known to be a real workhorse. This can be credited to the quality material and construction as well as the powerful motor. The simple barrel is also pretty strong and can tolerate continuous use or polishing hard rocks. Courtesy of the simple design, using this rick tumbler isn’t a problem even for individuals doing it the first time.
#1 National Geographic Hobby Rock Tumbler Kit
By: National Geographic
When talking about top rock tumblers, National Geographic is without-a-doubt “King.” The firm has a broad range of products suited for both individual and commercial applications. A good example is this kit that is best suited for hobbyists. It is well-made, simple, and easy to use. It comes with all the things you’ll need to transform the basic rocks or stones into beautiful pieces. Youll find the tumbler, 0.5 pounds of rough gemstones (9 varieties), four polishing grits, educational guides, jewelry fastenings, and simple instructions.
Best Rock Tumblers Buying Guides
Rock tumblers may look the same. However, they will produce varied results. To ensure that you acquire a good product, it’s crucial to center on these issues:
- Barrel Size: Choose a type that can accommodate the rock, water, and grit material. For instance, a 3lb barrel will hold 2lbs of rock and 1pound of water and grit.
- Experience: a beginner or inexperienced users are advised to start with small tumblers. Seasoned or those doing the activity for commercial purposes can go for larger and heavy-duty types.
- Personal or Commercial? Usually, individuals rarely choose a barrel with a capacity exceeding 12 pounds. Commercial users, on the other hand, choose larger machines that can handle 20, 40 pounds or more.
- Barrel Material: Plastic and rubber are the common materials of construction. Plastic is lighter and cheaper while rubber has better noise reduction. Heavy-duty version features a metal casing for extra strength and durability.
- Barrel Configuration: Single barrel configuration is designed to work with a specific rock type at a time. You can’t combine rocks with different hardiness. Multiple configurations can hold different rocks due to different barrels.
- Brand: You stand a better chance of owning a good product if it comes from a well-known and established firm. Top manufacturers will have been in this industry for many years and are backed by encouraging reviews.
- Type: The rotary type is the most common type and is loved for its basic nature and simplicity. However, there is also the Vibratory type that is most suited for finer polishing at the later stages.
Turning the uncut rough rocks into fine and smooth pebbles will be more effective and satisfactory with the best rock tumblers. The equipment will require minimal effort and time but will produce high-quality products. It will have a sturdy base for maximum stability and safety and will be constructed from sturdy metal to withstand the impact, vibrations, and operations. Additionally, a top rock tumbler comes with a thick rubber barrel for improved performance and also work with glass and metal. Unfortunately, with all manner of information and products in the market, it can be an uphill task to acquire the right accessory.
After going through the top rock tumblers in 2019 review, finding a good item will be easier and simpler. In fact, you can just pick an item from the list and start tumbling the rocks. All the listed items score highly for reliability, effectiveness, durability, sturdiness, and stability. They are also easy to operate, not very bulky, easy to maintain and deliver professional. They are backed by positive reviews from satisfied customers and are highly-ranked by experts. With the best rock tumblers, transforming the rough rocks into elegant and attractive ornamental pieces will be easier.