Injuries, accidents, or illness can convene one to a wheelchair. Whatever the reason, wheelchairs provide the much needed means of transit from one point to another, so you don’t lose mobility entirely. Wheelchairs come in two types; self-propelled and attendant – dependent. The choice of which type to buy depends on the ability of the user. If your limbs are not severely impaired, self-propelled wheelchairs are better. They give you independence and total control of your movement.
Table of Contents
- List of Top 10 Best Self Propelled Wheelchairs Reviews in 2019
- 1. The Cruiser III Wheelchair
- 2. The Silver Sport 18 inches Full Reclining Wheelchair by Drive Medical
- 4. Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair with Flip Back Desk Arms, Elevating Leg Rests
- 5. Premium Ultra-lightweight Wheelchair with Flip-Back Desk Arms and Elevating Leg Rests by Medline
- 6. The Healthline Lightweight Wheelchair Arm Detachable with Elevating Legrest
- 7. 3G010520 Traveler HD Wheelchair, Detachable Desk Arm, Swing-Away Footrest by Everest & Jennings
- 8. The 9000 SL Wheelchair – Fixed Height Space-Saver Desk Arms by Invacare
- 9. Karman S-ERGO 305 Lightweight Ergonomic Wheelchair – Quick Release Wheels
- 10. Stylish Narrow Ultralight 16 inches Seat Wheelchair – Anti-Tippers Included
- Final Word
List of Top 10 Best Self Propelled Wheelchairs Reviews in 2019
Self propelled wheelchairs have rear wheels with a comparatively larger diameter. They also have hand rims. Both of these features allow for easy self-traction.
Choosing the best wheelchair can be hard, given the many models on the market. That’s why this list compilation of the best self-propelled wheelchairs will help you make the right choice.
1. The Cruiser III Wheelchair
This wheelchair comes in different arm styles, giving you a wide choice. The silver finish makes it look attractive, plus it’s easy to clean. You will not have to worry about bumpy roads either because the 8-inch wheels make for a ride so smooth you won’t believe it. The nylon upholstery is detachable and easy to clean. And the frame is carbon fiber, making it light enough but strong. It means your wheelchair will not damage anytime soon.
- Carbon steel frame: allows you to put back accessories of your choice without a need for seat guides.
- Sealed wheel bearing: for durability and better performance
- Detachable back arms: for easy transferring.
- Large wheels: for smooth movement
2. The Silver Sport 18 inches Full Reclining Wheelchair by Drive Medical
With a hydraulic reclining system, the silver sport provides for unsurpassed comfort. The head rest has a head immobilizer that protects your head while in reclined position that’s cushioned for extra comfort. The silver finish and the nylon upholstery make cleaning easy. It’s lightweight so you don’t tire out easily when propelling yourself. Arm, leg, and backrests are all made for offering the most comfort.
- Nylon upholstery: for easy cleaning
- Carbon steel frame: for durability and low weight
- Wheels set away from the frame: for extra safety to preventing accidental tipping over.
- 8″ caster wheels: for smooth rides over rough surfaces.
- Padded armrests: for extra comfort
This wheelchair is compact and lightweight making it easy to transport or transfer. It’s also easy to clean, both the upholstery and the frame. It comes with padded armrests and seat for maximum comfort during your rides.
- Lightweight: for easy lifting during travel
- Foldable: for easy transportation
- Heel loops: to provide both safety and comfort to your feet
4. Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair with Flip Back Desk Arms, Elevating Leg Rests
The Blue Streaks features an attractive design. The frame is made from steel which makes it durable and is free from cracking possibilities. The upholstery is nylon and detachable, allowing for easy cleaning. For a smooth ride, even on bumpy surfaces, the wheels a rubber made. Added to these is a comfortable seat that’s large enough at 18 inches.
- Detachable parts: for easy transportation
- Rubber wheels: to enable the wheelchair to move smoothly over bumps for comfort
- Push-to-lock wheels: ensures maximum safety
- Steel covered frame: for a strong and long lasting wheelchair
5. Premium Ultra-lightweight Wheelchair with Flip-Back Desk Arms and Elevating Leg Rests by Medline
This wheelchair has attractive features that make for comfort. From the adjustable seat, padded armrests, to the rubber wheels. The upholstery is nylon, and so it doesn’t pose any challenge to clean. For easy removal of the rear wheels, the wheelchair features a quick-release mechanism.
- Welded steel frame: for strength and durability
- Adjustable seat: for maximum comfort
- Nylon upholstery: for easy cleaning
- Large rear wheels: for easy traction
6. The Healthline Lightweight Wheelchair Arm Detachable with Elevating Legrest
With nylon upholstery, carbon steel frame that has been coated with chrome, and plastic hand rims, this wheelchair is both lightweight and easy to clean. Add that to the padded armrests and the rubber wheels and this self-propelled wheelchair becomes one of the most comfortable you would get. The sealed bearings are designed so for durability and minimal maintenance. A carry pocket in the rear allows you to carry accessories and belongings on your rides.
- black nylon upholstery: for easy cleaning
- Carbon steel frame: for strength and durability
- Solid rubber tires for smooth rides that don’t tire you
- Padded armrests: for comfort for your arms
7. 3G010520 Traveler HD Wheelchair, Detachable Desk Arm, Swing-Away Footrest by Everest & Jennings
This wheelchair is strong and comfortable. The upholstery is black leather, double-lined to last longer. It comes with a carry pocket on the rear so you won’t have to worry about how to carry your belongings and accessories. The rear wheels are large and rubber covered for comfortable rides on rough streets and for easy propelling.
- Hammer tone paint: provides a durable finish
- Embossed leather upholstery: for durability
- Reinforced carbon steel frame: to be able to bear load and to last long
- Adjustable seat and leg rest: for comfortable rides and rests
8. The 9000 SL Wheelchair – Fixed Height Space-Saver Desk Arms by Invacare
The wheelchair feature a stylish design consisting of black satin finish. The frame is carbon steel which makes it strong, lightweight and durable. The wheels are rubber for easy and smooth movement along rough surfaces. The seat can be adjusted, which allows you to make it recline or rise to the position you feel is comfortable.
- Adjustable seat height: to allow you to place it in the most comfortable position
- Rubber covered wheels: for effortless and smooth rides
- Carbon steel frame: for a lightweight yet strong wheelchair
- Large rear tires: allows for easy propulsion with the least effort, even on uneven surfaces
9. Karman S-ERGO 305 Lightweight Ergonomic Wheelchair – Quick Release Wheels
If there’s one lightweight wheelchair, it’s the Karman Healthcare S-ERGO305. With a frame made from aircraft grade aluminum, its light enough to move around and to transport. The seat height is adjustable up to to 19″ height from the floor. The seat is ergonomic and is cushioned for extra comfort. The footrests are both adjustable and detachable, to allow for comfort and compactness during travel.
- Lightweight aluminum frame: for easy pushing of the wheelchair and lifting for transportation
- Cushioned seat: for extra comfort
- Detachable footrests: for easy transporting
- Adjustable armrests and seat: for improved comfort
10. Stylish Narrow Ultralight 16 inches Seat Wheelchair – Anti-Tippers Included
It’s a well-designed wheelchair with attractive features. The frame is made from carbon steels which make it lightweight, strong and durable. The leg rests are removable, so it reduces in size during transportation. The upholstery is made from nylon making it easy to clean. You can adjust the seat as well as the foot rests of this wheelchair to the most comfortable height for you.
- Adjustable seat and leg rest: for maximum comfort
- Carbon steel frame: it makes the wheelchair strong and durable
- Padded arm and leg rest: for comfortable rides
When choosing the best wheelchair to buy, look for the ones offering comfort and durability. Go for cushioned seat wheelchairs. They are the best.